Friday, April 05, 2024

IN WHICH I COMPLAIN

You've probably seen Bay Watch, a teevee series in which lifeguards run slo-mo into the surf on sunny days and perform acts of derring-do, solving crimes and stuff. It was filmed during the later seasons in California, I believe. Yesterday was not like that. And it was never set here in any case. On the other hand, that scene where Luke Skywalker slices open the tauntaun for the heat inside was done here, in the Tenderloin during early April.
It was bitterly cold yesterday.

If writing angry letters to the editor blaming my generation or the Republican Party for climate change had any hope of achieving anything, yesterday was surely the day to do it. I didn't.

Last night it got down to forty two degrees Fahrenheit (5°C).

Elderly people of all ages froze their testicles off.
There was weeping and wailing
And gnashing of teeth.

Good thing I'm not old.
Having seen that rain was imminent, I headed over to the chachanteng anyhow. It was unsurprisingly uncrowded. Two customers I know (one of whom was enjoying toast), and a table full of shivering Mandarin speaking young people. Folks, if you want to not shiver, perhaps don't sit near the door? That's for European tourists wearing tee-shirts and shorts because they're visiting California and have seen Bay Watch. Normal people occupy tables as far way from there as possible. There is warm air coming from the kitchen. One can see that by the swirling of steam, and the fact that there are no icicles anywhere near there.

Lunch and hot beverages were extremely enjoyable.
The pipe smoked afterwards far less so.
It's angry letter time.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chill in the air is bizarre. East Bay temps have been in the low 40s and I’m traveling north soon where night temperatures have even been in the high 30s. If this means our Summer will not be hot though, perhaps I can forgive Mother Nature.

FYI - there’s a buzz going around online of 4/15/24 being a major day of disruption from the pro-Hamas cult. Just a heads up.

The back of the hill said...

So that's next Monday. I'll have my stoutest walking stick with me, but I'm wondering if I should also have some pepper spray.

Search This Blog

INTERNATIONAL RIOT DAY

All over the world, the radical disaffecteds raged today. Not only actual wage slaves, but also semi-educated bourgeois prole pretendeurs an...