Monday, November 23, 2009

LOVE IN A TIME OF GOUT

Often Savage Kitten says things that really encapsulate our relationship. As some of you know, she is Cantonese-American, I am white. So aside from a height difference (she's fine-boned, I am normal), there are also "cultural" differences.
What comes out of her mouth reflects exactly how different Cantonese people are from all the rest of us.



INSTRUCTIVE EXAMPLES

ME: 'I'm going to the store, hon, you need anything?"
HER: "A lobster!"

This is an example of optimistic Cantonese tunnel-vision. Eventually I must bring back a lobster from the corner store - logic takes a backseat to a positive attitude.
If you wish it, it has got to happen.


HER: "I know, you could go visit my mom, I'll stay home. Just tell her you're me."
ME: 'She'd spot the difference immediately'.
HER: "Not if you don't say anything."

Her mom does not know Savage Kitten is living with me, and thinks she's an old maid living with a classmate from college, another old maid. And, seeing as all of us white people look alike, surely mom won't notice a thing provided I keep my mouth shout. Savage Kitten knows I can do that, and therefore she has complete confidence in the workability of her idea.


ME: 'I'm sorry, I didn't know you were in here!'
HER: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaauugh!!!!!"
ME: 'I just heard the tank running, I had no idea you ......'
HER: "Nasty Old Toad!"
ME: 'Look, I'm really sorry, it's just that the water....'
HER: "You should've stayed in here then and waited for it to finish!"
ME: 'Well, now I know.'
HER: "I have no heartbeat. It's stopped, I'm turning blue, it's all over. Cold, so cold.... What are you going to tell my family?"
ME: 'Nonsense, I can feel it beating.'
HER: "If our landlords ask about the screaming, the toilet scared you."

Our landlords are also Cantonese. All Cantonese KNOW that Caucasians are irrational and easily startled.
And only a middle-aged white man would scream like a girl in the middle of the night.


HER: "Silly Toad, why didn't you tell me you had gout, letting me order all those oysters!"ME: 'Well, you wanted oysters and you were so happy....'
HER: "But if I had known, I would've bitten the bullet - I would've eaten all of them myself."
True love. Note the element of selflessness and sacrifice. All couples should be so compatible.

In another month we will have been together for twenty years.



=========================================================

AFTERWORD

Savage Kitten left a message for me on my office answering machine. We are having "White Person's Duck" for Thanksgiving!
See, we always do duck for holidays - a turkey is just too much for two people. But yesterday the May Wah Market was entirely sold out of duck (we may not be the only people in SF to prefer roast duck to dry monster bird), as were all the other meat markets in San Wah Fao. Not a Chinese Duck to be had. Today she found a duck nearer home, at one of those pretentious food stores that cater to snobby white folks into granola, wheat germ, and tofu. This duck was all macrobiotic veggie fed, free range, no antibiotics. In her words, "It's a healthyass duck". Probably a little lean, and may require some extra grease. White People. And their ducks.

7 comments:

Tzipporah said...

Yum. have you tried the lavender/honey duck recipe I posted about at Sukkot? It was pretty darn good.

Man I love duck. Yum.

And congrats on 20 years! That's a long time. :)

Anonymous said...

Plenty of geese walking arround in the parks in the East Bay.

Anonymous said...

The part that got to me was his claim that he "was normal"

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 20 years - You are my hero

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 20 years - You are my hero

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I really like duck and now that I'm single I can have it. You don't have a recipe for duck do you?

Kevin

The back of the hill said...

You don't have a recipe for duck do you?

Strange that you should ask.....

Sour-cooked duck: Bebek Asem

This link:
http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2008/04/bebek-asem-sour-simmered-duck.html


Roast duck: Siu ngaap

This link:
http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2005/11/siu-ngaap-roast-duck-cantonese-style.html


And Tzipporah recommends this recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Duck-with-Honey-101622

As mentioned in her post on Sukkot:
http://midianitemanna.blogspot.com/search?q=Sukkot
And also see comments here:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19874870&postID=2348541784233448007


If doing the brined roast duck recipe given above, please note that it will darken considerably in the oven. This can be prevented by covering it with aluminum foil for the first forty minutes.
Note also that a nice fatty duck is best. Some ducks, especially if raised for the white folks, might be a bit on the lean side. Fat is what makes it worth eating, healthnuts are, plainly put, just nuts.

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...