Monday, February 02, 2009

SUPERBOWL? DO TELL!

Contrary to base allegations from some quarters, I did indeed know that yesterday was Superbowl Sunday. I am not as sports-ignorant as you thought. Quite the opposite even. In fact, I was aware of the coming of the superbowl no later than Friday evening, well in advance of the game. I was on the ball, so to speak (a sportish metafor!).


I also knew which teams were playing. I knew this ere Dovey stumbled in to the bar, blitzed, sweaty, and deliriously happy that his team had won. I was prepared - I congratulated him on his spectacular victory, which shall be remembered for as long as people celebrate the noble art of ball playing. He had, apparently, backed the Pittsburgh team. And their brilliant game was a personal best for him, of which he was justifiably proud.


There were no supporters of the other team, which hailed from Mississippi or Georgia. They didn't win, their defeat proved their unworthiness, and ultimately the flaws of their city. Their misguided fans had no cause to celebrate, and were probably already sunk into several alcoholic stupors by mid-evening. As was fitting. A majority of right-thinking people evidently supported the Pittsburgh team, and hailed the splendid Pittsburgh triumph as a blow for freedom, democracy, and the American way. It was all-round glorious. And that final score! Heavens, guys, kudos! And bravo!


Truly, ball playing is a noble sport, and cheerleading is entertainment for kings. There can be no finer past-time than watching the spectacle (ball playing) on a wide-screen television, while eating copious amounts of cheese and sauerkraut. Fathers taking their children into the backyard to practice, with big leather gloves and the hog's skin, is indeed a splendid way to build character, as American as toaster strudel. Here, batta batta batta, as they say, here batta batta batta. It's a total house-run, out of the park. Thrilling, and far out.

11 comments:

Spiros said...

AC Milan is the only football side worthy of discussion: with Emerson, Filippo Inzaghi, Clarence Seedorf, Andrea Pirlo, Shevchenko, Zambrotta, and now Beckham filling in for the equally ancient Gennaro Gattuso, they have got to be OLDEST squad ever to seriously compete for a title in an elite league. Hope Geritol is one of their sponsors. I mean, these guys are OLD.

Anonymous said...

We listen to Lawrence Whelk. His music speaks to our generation.
He is one hip cat.
The bee's knees, the cat's miao.

Anonymous said...

Geritol is manna.

Spiros said...

I mean, REALLY OLD.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you mean like Adam and Eve when they stumbled off the Ark. Yeah, that's way old, dude.

Anonymous said...

The only real game is cricket. You Americans poncing around with your spheroids - shocking, shameful, and frikkin gandu is what.

Ah, the great Parsee bowlers, who whupped and clobbered the Pakistanis! Not that, bhaya, is sport!

Not some overdressed beefsteak gulomphing down the astro turf.


---Grebus Wottapandy

Anonymous said...

No doubt all the great bowlers wear frilly panties, hence Patel Sahib's interest in the sport.

Tzipporah said...

Worst part of the Superbowl: all the junk food was on sale.

As part of my savings plan, I was obligated to buy it.

Anonymous said...

Junkfood has a hiksher? I did not know junk could be kosher - it strikes me as the very epitome of non-kosher. In all particularlities.


---Grant patel

Anonymous said...

I suspect, I strongly suspect, that the blogger does not know jagdeesh about sports. Not even cricket.


---Grant Patel

Spiros said...

Have I mentioned that AC Milan, currently second to Inter in the Serie A standings, is OLD?

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...