Tuesday, January 23, 2007

NIT !!!

Among orthodox Jews of mostly Eastern-European derivation, the term Nittel-Nacht is used for Christmas-eve.

The term Nittel-Nacht is of uncertain origin, and is folk-etymologically explained as 'nisht Yidden darfen lernen', more-or-less meaning that Jews should not study Talmud-Torah on this night due to bad vibes, baneful influences, bad juju, or something like that. It being an event with some perfectly horrid associations, you see.

Primarily because the Cossacks would get tanked and go around torching stuff and beating up people.

A good night to leave the lights low and keep your wits about you. Strange things would happen. Violent things. Stupid things.

Nittel-Nacht: a time of liquor-inspired madness.



There, now that I have given you a pre-amble........

Tonight is when the State of the Union speech is given.
It will be broadcast live and rehashed by all the talking heads.
I propose an appropriate name for the night.......


NITWIT-NACHT


Pretty much self-explanatory, don't you agree?
.
.
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to spoil the euphonious alliteration, but calling that man a "nitwit" is far too...I don't know, warm and fuzzy? Really, the only term that would work would be "Fuck-wit Nacht".

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...