Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Oodles of noodles

Yesterday evening, Savage Kitten called and left a message on my work phone telling me gleefully that there was a surprise in the kitchen, be sure to get it while it's hot, she'd see me after practice.

Well, she knew that Reuven and I do Torah on Tuesday evenings, so it was going to be room temperature at best when I got there.

On my way home I wondered what she meant by 'surprise'. Sometimes that doesn't mean anything good. A live lobster? A rabid skunk? A life-size Hello-Kitty doll? Perhaps a goat?


With trepidation, I approached the pyrex vessel (ha keli ha pyrexim, if we assume that pyrex is a plural substance) on the counter.

Lokshn kugel. Let me repeat: lokshn kugel.


Sweet little Cantonese girls aren't supposed to make lokshn kugel (well, they're not supposed to run off with weird white men either, but this is San Francisco, and they do).
Evenso yet, lokshn kugel?


What on earth is happening, when sweet little Cantonese girls make lokshn kugel?!?!?


About the only thing I can conclude is, it's a sign of the end of times, the last days are upon us, it's the first coming!

Three weeks ago she made some lekach for a friend who doesn't live at home. I don't know how it turned out, but it wasn't my recipe, so I am (still) curious.
It needs to be said, by the way, that everybody has two variants of lekach in their household, just as they have two recipes for perenkugel (their own, and "that other one, you know").

I can understand lekach - who doesn't like honey cake? And once a year is surely not enough.


But....., lokshn kugel?


No wonder there have been so many ominous occurrences this year!
[Floods, earthquakes, catastrophe, Brownie. And the weather.]


It was good.
We only have one recipe for lokshn kugel.
Hers.

--------------------------------
Other matters: the newst edition of 'HEEB' is on the news-stands. Buy it. It's only $5.95. A metzia.
--------------------------------

2 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

"Savage Kitten"? :-P

The back of the hill said...

Actually, Savage Kitten is a VERY accurate description of her personality. And it is what she looks like when she sleeps.

Many years ago, one of the very first things she said to me was "I'm SORRY, I don't speak Japanese (Hmmmpf!), I'm Chinese!"

Which indicates how abysmal my accent was - and how far from standard city Cantonese her parents dialect.

English is her first language.

Search This Blog

SPOILED BRAT TANTRUMS

It speaks volumes that several hundred people staged a vanity protest on both the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate, and, in a country with mor...