Monday, October 17, 2005

On no! It's the Mahdi!

I have my doubts. Seriously.

You see, there have been so many announcements in the last millennium, by scholars both sincere and wise, that person alef, sujet beit, or dingbat gimel is/was/will be the Moshiach, that I have to doubt.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth, here are some quotes from an article in Arutz Sheva (entitled: 'Leading Kabbalist Urges Jews to Israel - More Disasters Coming'. And surely you don't need a link? You have A7 bookmarked!):

"---On Thursday night, Rabbi Yitzhak Kaduri said, "Jews must come to the land of Israel to receive our righteous Mashiach (Messiah), who has begun his influence and will reveal himself in the future."

Well, that fits in with the theory (like 'creationism' is a theory) that der Lubavitser was the Moshiach Ben Yoisef.


"---the Kabbalist scholar surprised his students and fellow worshippers with secrets relating to the coming of the Mashiach. "

I'll bet he did.


"---During the service, Rabbi Kaduri lowered his head and entered a deep mystical concentration which lasted uninterrupted for some 45 minutes."

Dyspepsia? A nap? Elu v'elu....


"---Students who thought the elderly Rabbi was suffering an attack of sort tried to communicate with him, but he did not break his intense concentration for a moment, even to nod. "

And surely their concern is appreciated.


"---With a broad smile on his face familiar to his students when he has a revelation, he declared, "With the help of G-d, the soul of the Mashiach has attached itself to a person in Israel" [In the original Hebrew: 'Hit'abra bezrat hashem nishmat mashiach b'adam m'yisrael']."

Okay, I'm a cynic. I really cannot believe that Shabbatai Zvi has been reincarnated. But keep talking, please.

2 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

M. M. Schneersohn wasn't mashiahh ben Yoseif! Mashiahh ben Yoseif was, obviously, a certain Palestinian Jew during the British Mandate who was executed by the British for illegally having weapons to defend himself. Or something like that. His name was [Something] Ben-Yoseif.

The back of the hill said...

I'll have to look up where I saw the reference to Rav Schneerson as the Moshiach Ben Yosef - I know it wasn't on one of the Chabad sites, though.

I vaguely remember it being an article on the Arutz Sheva website by one of the Rebbeim who contributes to the Torah section.

[It might be M. L. - though in his private writing (he's a fellow Dutch speaker) he has not veered onto that turf.]

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...