Monday, October 05, 2026

BOTH THE HEAT AND THE HUMIDITY

There are times when I wish that my apartment mate had already come home, because it's late-ish, there are crazies and weirdoes about, those streets are dangerous, who knows what might happen, and she's a small woman, and I'm concerned. Then I have to tell myself that it's not that bad, this is a relatively normal part of the city, she's old enough to be outside on her own, she has a brown belt in one martial art and medals in another, plus she has a nasty murderous attitude and keeps her wits about her and her eyes open, lord help the moron who tries something, and that it's just the darkness at this hour fuelling my paranoia.
Which is heightened both by caffeine and complete distrust of my fellow man.

I'm quite fine about my fellow woman. Abouth whom I worry.

Except the Karens. Of either gender.


It's probably a darn good thing we don't live in Texas or anywhere in the Deep South. People are crazy, racist, and inclined toward strange fits of violence and drunken rage there. Plus it is usually warm enough to dry out every one of your braincells for much of the year, during times when there aren't hurricanes and tornadoes roaring through your trailer park Or rivers that have been dry since they strung up Jesus suddenly flood over and drown your town.
Being perpetually on edge is a way of life.

Just like obesity and diabetes.

And pickup trucks.
Several weeks ago I clicked on two videos and hit 'like', now I often get a ginger tomcat running a late night fried chicken joint or the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band on my feed. That's precisely and exactly all the fried chicken I need, and the Texas A&M University marching band is altogether mighty fine, yessiree and hotdawg!

By the way, the finest restaurants in the entire south are all run by space aliens. That's a fact. If you don't admit that, you too are part of the plot, you sicko Yankee lizard person.



Lunch was mushroom and beef stirfried lomein (草菇牛肉炒撈麵 'chou gu ngau yiuk chaau lou min') enoyed in a quiet place well-before twilight, then a stroll down toward the bus stop with a pipe and some tobacco. Very pleasant. I encountered only one psycho.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

BOTH THE HEAT AND THE HUMIDITY

There are times when I wish that my apartment mate had already come home, because it's late-ish, there are crazies and weirdoes about, t...