Wednesday, July 03, 2024

SCREAMING 'POK GAI' IS NOT A GOOD IDEA

In fact, screaming 'pok gai' in the middle of the night on a quiet street at people who aren't there and might not even exist is probably never a good idea. He was emoting ferociously before our paths crossed, ignored my cheery 'good evening' and continued being angry and vocal after we passed each other. I could hear him even once I was inside and going up the stairs. Which is why I don't live on the groundfloor in the front of the building.

He's a man I've seen around the city many times. Not entirely compos mentis. And, naturally, I have never demonstrated any ability to speak Cantonese, because I've learned over the years that doing so to Chinese loonies makes them remember your face. And strike up random conversations when you do not wish them to do that.
Because surely you will understand.

I'm a very tolerant sort, which people tend to pick up on. That fossilized white woman on the bus who pressed upon me her opinion that there weren't enough white people in the city, all these Asians were taking over, probably took one look at me and figured "ooh, a white man of a certain age, so surely he will understand". A few blocks after I informed her that it wasn't my concern and went to stand elsewhere she outbursted loudly about Asians, why the bus was filled with them, it was so nasty! Asians, by the way, are very good at ignoring crazy white people. Which is good. There are an awful lot of them in this city.
Her doctor who prescribes her pills is probably Asian.
As are the staff at the pharmacy.
And the nursing home.

By that time I had already had a loud but friendly disagreement with a Cantonese woman. Please sit. No, it is not necessary, you sit. No no, you sit. I do not need to sit, you sit. I'm not sitting. 請坐。唔使,你坐。我唔坐,你坐。我唔使坐,啊,你坐。我唔坐。你坐,你坐。

I wouldn't be surprised if the old white lady had been sitting down because a Cantonese passenger gave up their seat.


The phrase 'pok gai' ( 仆街) literally means to fall or collapse on the street, as one might do when starving, dying of the plague, uncared for, not likely to have relatives who will give one a proper funeral or even a bowl of rice when alive. It is a curse, a death wish, and a noun. Pok gai is the diametric opposite of an endearment, and is quite the most common imprecatory utterance in Cantonese.
There were youngish white women screaming at the karaoke place, so we went elsewhere.
I was conscious of the pipe in my breast pocket giving me the appearance of having a single pointy man boob -- not the best look -- so at an opportune time I removed it. It had been very enjoyable an hour earlier. Grant Avenue had been fairly quiet then, no stumbling drunks, but a passer-by had reeked of therapeutic substance, and I was glad when he finally moved on. For a few minutes he had been in discussion with a newspaper rack, but left after instructing it to tell nobody. Nobody, dig?

Not being myself a newspaper rack, nor conversationally inclined, I had done my best to be invisible. In which I believe I succeeded. I am actually part of this wall, honest.

I believe it's this weather. The heat makes people act strange.
Explains why people in New York are goofy in Summer.
And everyone in Florida is crazy year round.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

AN AGE OF INNOCENCE

When I stepped out for a last pipefull yesterday evening dense clouds were moving in, and the temperature had dropped very much from the hea...