Thursday, September 17, 2009

VEGETABLE MAGNETISM

If it's chocolate, the correct brand name yields a chezkas kashrus - a presumption of trustworthiness and edibility. You know what brands you like already, and you trust them, even without looking at the fine print. You refuse to eat the muck from that OTHER company, feh, they don't know what they're doing! You wouldn't be caught DEAD eating their drecky treif! That other company produces spiritual pork, karmic shellfish - probably FILLED with shrotzim, too - but the brand you like is good stuff. You trust them completely

I say this, because I tried finding a hechsher on the bar I just ate (second one today), and where it should have a triangle K, or an UO, or a circle-bar-slash-backspace-obscure glyph, it instead says "sugar, cocoa butter, milk, chocolate, butter, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, soy lecithin (an emulsifier) vanillin (an artificial flavor). May contain traces of tree nuts and peanuts."

No hechsher. Kosher only by faith alone, not by supervision. I never noticed that.

Who cares?

I wasn't planning to eat it during peysach anyhow.

Third bar - Dark Chocolate with Almonds. Starting to feel a little queased at this point. Just a nibble, but somehow the entire bar disappeared.

I still have three whole bars left. Classic Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate with Almonds, and Milk Chocolate with Toffee Nuggets.

I bought them because a coworker's tyke needs to sell them for his school.

She only works halfdays, and I've only got two bars left. I must buy more tomorrow.

I never noticed before, that wrapping actually looks kinda classy. Did they always have that? Rich vibrant colours, and gold lettering?

Good thing there's a protective layer of foil - the fancy printing on the outer wrapper smells slightly industrial, because of the glossy stock and coloured printing ink.

What the heck is lecithin? The article says it's a yellowish brown fatty substance composed of fatty acids, glycolipids, triglycerides, phospholipids, and other stuff. Not very soluble in water (because of all those lipids).
It is used as an emulsifier, and can be entirely metabolized.

I wonder if the fact that it is yellowish brown and waxy makes it suitable for inclusion in chocolate bars? It wouldn't affect the appearance, would it? Except to make it more glossy.

I'll research that in detail tomorrow. I've got to make this bar last till then.


Gotta get some coffee. My stomach is bubbling.

2 comments:

Spiros said...

You need help.

Telmac said...

or some really good coffee. I recommend peets. great stuff. try the Hawaiian. while I would not use it to wake up in the morning, it great for you, and has a very low ph for coffee (I think thats it for acidity) unlike some crappy french roast, or just whatever crap gets thrown together for the "El Cheap-o" coffee that they buy at the corner gas station.

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...